Papas Bravas Tacos
1 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ chipotle pepper packed in adobo, minced
½ teaspoon adobo
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and halve. Put potatoes in water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes before draining.
2. Toss hot potatoes with olive oil and garlic halves in a large roasting dish. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Thinly slice the onion and sauté in a nonstick pan over medium heat with butter. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and caramelize the onions, about 30 minutes over low heat, covered. Add the chipotle pepper, adobo, cumin, and paprika and stir. Cube the roasted potatoes and add to the onions. Add the roasted garlic halves and roasting oil as well.
4. Toss the cubed potatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until they get a bit of a sear. Keep warm until taco assembly.
¼ cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup sour cream
½ cup fresh cilantro, washed, dried, and finely chopped
Juice from half a lime
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Whisk together first four ingredients until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until taco assembly.
Avocado, sliced and drizzled with lime juice
Corn tortillas, warmed
Refried black beans
Queso fresco, optional
1. Take a corn tortilla and smear with black beans. Top with warm papas, avocado slices, queso fresco, and the cilantro crema. Eat.