Orange Poppy Seed Cake
Adapted by Mom from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures
3 cups unbleached flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 cup, (2 sticks), unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup low-fat yogurt
½ cup sour cream
Zest of 2 oranges
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 cup powdered sugar
1 – 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a bundt pan or other 10-cup tube pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until mixed, then beat in the yogurt/sour cream and zest/juice.
3. Beat in the flour mixture until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth.
4. Bake 50 to 55 minutes ,(I check it at 45 minutes), or until cake tester inserted comes out dry. Cool 10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before making the glaze.
5. To make glaze, add juice to powdered sugar gradually until lump-free. Add enough juice to get the consistency you like. Drizzle over the cake.