Apple Date Pecan Cheddar Tarts
Inspired by the Apple Date Pecan Cheddar Crumble at Salt’s Cure
¼ cup butter, (½ stick), unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/3 cup flour
½ cup pecans, chopped and toasted
½ teaspoon salt
1. Whisk together the sugars, flour, and salt. Cream the dry ingredients together with the butter until the mixture is crumbled together. Add the pecans and refrigerate for further use.
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening, cold
½ cup, (1 stick), unsalted butter, cold
¼ cup ice water
1. Pulse together flour, salt, and shortening in a food processor until combined and mealy. Cube the cold butter into the food processor and pulse a couple times, just until the butter in slightly broken up, leaving large chunks of butter still visible. Add the ice water and pulse a couple more times, just until the dough comes together. Divide into four discs, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least half and hour.
½ cup pitted dates
3 large Granny Smith apples
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ cup plus two tablespoons white sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour
A pinch of ground nutmeg
2 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel, core, and slice the apples very thinly. Toss with ¼ cup of white sugar and set aside to macerate. Quarter the dates and set aside. Drain most of the juice from the apples and toss with ¼ cup brown sugar, flour, spices, and remaining white sugar.
2. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll to about ¼ inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Trim the dough to fit a 4-5 inch mini tart pan. Line the pan and repeat with the remaining three portions of dough and mini tart pans. Pre-bake the crusts for 25-30 minutes, or until the crusts are lightly brown.
3. Line each tart shell with a quarter of the dates and top each with a quarter of the apples, spreading to the edge of the tart shells. Sprinkle the tarts with the remaining 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar. Using a microplane, grate a bit of the cheddar over each tart. Take the crumble out of the refrigerator and crumble a quarter of the topping over each tart. Place the tarts on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a fork and the crumble is lightly toasted.